Fujifilm announces X10 high-end enthusiast compact
Fujifilm has unveiled the X10 - an enthusiast compact with a F2.0-2.8, 28-112mm-equivalent lens. It's built around a 2/3" (6.6 x 8.8mm) CMOS sensor that uses Fujifilm's EXR pixel arrangement. The 12MP sensor can produce either 12MP images in high resolution mode, under-expose half its pixels to provide 6MP images with greater dynamic range, or combine neighboring pixels for a 6MP high sensitivity mode. The X10 borrows extensively from the styling of the X100 (though its zooming viewfinder means you lose the X100's hybrid viewfinder), to give a camera that sits conceptually between the Olympus XZ-1 and the Canon Powershot G12.
The NEW Fujifilm X10 premium compact camera sets new standards in style and quality for digital photography
Fujifilm is proud to announce the addition of a new premium compact camera to its digital camera line up for autumn 2011. The X10 features a large 2/3" 12 megapixel EXR-CMOS sensor and a high-definition F2.0 wide-angle and F2.8 telephoto Fujinon 4x manual zoom lens (28-112mm)*1, characterised by its brightness and superb picture quality right up to the edge of an image.
The X10 is a highly advanced compact camera with specifications that follow in the footsteps of the multi award-winning Fujifilm FinePix X100 (released in March 2011): the ultimate in refined design, components, functions and specification. Featuring a bright optical zoom viewfinder with a wide viewing angle, the X10 allows users to enjoy the pleasure of photography via a traditional viewfinder, providing all the benefits and ease of composition that this brings.
Thorough attention to detail is evident as soon as you take hold of the X10’s stunning body. With its upper control deck and base manufactured from lightweight, yet ultra strong, die-cast magnesium alloy; and mode dials and lens ring featuring their quality, aluminium milled, textured finish. The intuitive operability of the various dials and shutter-release button is also apparent with the manual zoom lens doubling up as an on/off power switch, ensuring you can react quickly to potential photo shooting scenarios as they occur.
(1) Newly-developed F2.0 wide-angle and F2.8 telephoto, bright FUJINON 4x optical manual barrel zoom lens
The X10 features a newly-developed high-definition Super EBC (Electron Beam Coating) FUJINON*2 lens which achieves superb clarity over the whole of the image. The lens consists of 11 glass lens elements in 9 groups, including 3 aspherical glass lens elements (6 sides) and 2 extra-low dispersion lens elements. The result is an ultra bright lens with a wide-angle maximum aperture of 2.0 and telephoto maximum aperture of 2.8.
With its all-metal lens barrel you are guaranteed a smooth zoom action which helps you compose your photos quickly and easily. In addition, the camera’s power switch has been deftly built into the manual barrel zoom to facilitate fast responses and to help you avoid missed photo opportunities.
Featuring a newly developed Optical Image Stabilisation mechanism, you can rest assured that any lens aberration is kept to an absolute minimum and image resolution is maximised making the most of the sensor performance and delivering high quality images.
The lens is capable of taking super-macro shots as close up as 1cm. This function can also be combined with 7-blade aperture to deliver a stunning soft-focus “bokeh” effect perfect for shooting portraits using the telephoto zoom.
(2) Combining a bright optical viewfinder with a wide viewing-angle and a manual barrel zoom lens
Fujifilm’s engineers have used an arrangement of 3 aspherical lenses plus a special dach prism configuration to deliver a viewfinder with superior brightness and a superb field of view with its extra wide viewing angle, and all whilst still maintaining a compact camera size. This, combined with the Manual Barrel Zoom functionality, makes a real difference and brings a welcome old-style photographic feel to the X10.
(3) Newly-developed large 2/3" 12 megapixel EXR-CMOS sensor and advanced EXR Processor
The X10 features a newly-developed large 2/3" 12 megapixel EXR-CMOS sensor with approximately twice the sensor area, and approximately 2.5 times the pixel area, compared to existing Fujifilm camera models*3.
This bespoke EXR-CMOS sensor combines Fujifilm's proprietary EXR technology (which can select the optimum shooting mode from the three options below SN / DR / HR), with CMOS technology to provide bright, sharp images in all shooting conditions.
- SN High Sensitivity and Low Noise mode - produces clear and sharp high-sensitivity images whilst keeping the noise levels low, and is an ideal choice for capturing night scenes or indoor situations with poor lighting
- DR Wide Dynamic Range mode - delivers a much increased dynamic range (up to 1600%) delivering rich gradations and detail in both the shadows and highlights
- HR High Resolution mode - takes full advantage of the 12 megapixel resolution to reproduce the finest details in landscape and portrait scenes, perfect for use on bright clear days
In addition the X10 features a high-speed EXR-CMOS sensor and EXR processor which facilitate high-speed continuous shooting at up to 7 frames per second at the full 12 megapixel resolution (L size), and 10 frames per second at the reduced resolution M size.
Plus a 49-point matrix contrast AF which provides high-speed and high-precision auto focusing thanks to the fast CMOS capabilities and the advanced EXR Processor's AF system.
With its super speedy shutter-release time lag of approx. 0.01 seconds, the X10 can capture even the most fleeting of photo opportunities. And it’s also worth mentioning that it features best-in-class*4 1080p Full HD movie recording capabilities.
(4) The X10’s elegant design has inherited the look and feel of the X100, along with its "made in Japan" seal of quality
Manufactured from strong, yet lightweight, die-cast magnesium alloy, the X10’s upper control deck and camera base are perfectly designed and add a real sense of style and glamour to the camera. On top of this the exquisite notches of the exposure compensation dial and the satisfying torque feedback produced by the hidden metal ball in the click-stop mechanism ensure the quality of craftsmanship is truly apparent.
(5) Fujifilm's unique functions for adjusting image quality
EXR-Auto – for the automatic optimisation of the sensor and the camera settings
The X10 not only offers “EXR-Auto” intelligent scene recognition (which adjusts camera settings to suit sunsets, blue skies, greenery, beaches, snow, etc.), and also detects people and identifies difficult to photograph backlight conditions, but now, it even has the ability to detect subject movements. The intelligent EXR-CMOS Sensor automatically selects the optimum shooting mode from a total of 99 different variations; this enables it to capture any kind of scene perfectly in even the most difficult shooting conditions.
In terms of ISO settings, the X10 can capture shots between ISO 100 for well lit conditions and top picture quality, and ultra-high ISO 12800*5 for the most minimal of lighting conditions. If the correct exposure cannot be obtained with the selected ISO setting, the ISO Auto Setting function adjusts it automatically between 100 and 3200.
For those of you that like to experiment, the X10 offers Fujifilm's unique Film Simulation modes, reflecting the company's background in photographic films. Eight settings are available, including Velvia / PROVIA / ASTIA which allow you to reproduce the well-known tones of highly popular colour reversal films, as well as X10 expands the scope of photo expression with Monochrome Mode that can be fine-tuned with R / Ye / G filter settings.
In addition to Auto White Balance, the X10 provides a choice of 9 white balance presets to compensate for the colour of different light sources. Users can also set a Custom White Balance using a grey card or other surface, or select the optimum Kelvin value.
The X10 also features detailed image adjustability settings with options including "Colour" to adjust colour strength, "Highlight Tone" / "Shadow Tone" to adjust contrast in highlight / shadow sections, and "Sharpness" to sharpen or soften pixel edges.
Finally there is a Noise Reduction Adjustment function to set the strength of noise reduction at five different levels according to the users' emphasis on whether to prioritise high resolution or low noise.
(6) Other notable features on the FinePix X10
- 4x optical zoom featuring Fujifilm’s new Intelligent Digital 2x Telephoto zoom technology, doubling the telephoto capabilities and providing up to an 8x zoom
- Diverse manual shooting modes that can be selected according to scene type (Program / Aperture Priority / Shutter Speed Priority / Manual)
- Power start-up within approx. 0.8 seconds using on/off switch built into lens ring (must be in Quick Start mode) perfect for capturing any unexpected photo opportunities
- Motion Panorama 360 for seamless 360-degree panoramic shooting
- Manual pop-up flash with a range of 7 metres
- High-contrast and wide viewing-angle 2.8" 460K dot High contrast LCD monitor that provides excellent view-ability even if you’re outdoors in bright sunlight
- Electronic horizon levelling gauge to check the camera is being held on the level, and histogram display to check image gradation
- Four diverse auto bracketing functions for exposure, ISO sensitivity, dynamic range and film simulation
- RAW shooting and in-camera RAW processing (plus SilkyPix RAW conversion software is supplied in-box)
(7) Premium Accessory Line-up
- RETRO LEATHER CASE - BLACK
To perfectly compliment the look and premium quality feel of the X10 camera body, a retro leather "quick shot" case with matching strap has been designed which fits the X10 like a glove. Made out of luxurious black leather it has been created with uncompromising attention to detail, ensuring the ultimate ease of use and practicality.
- LENS HOOD
Precision milled from metal, a lens hood with adapter ring will be available. The adapter ring is also compatible with commercially sold 52mm filters and lens caps.
- TTL FLASH
Compatible with Fujifilm’s EF-20 (Guide No.:20) and EF-42 (Guide No.:42) flash guns.
*1 35mm equivalent
*2 For more information on high precision FUJINON lenses please visit: http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/fujinon/
*3 Compared to the FinePix F550EXR
*4 Digital cameras equipped with a 2/3" image sensor
*5 At reduced resolution
|Body material||Magnesium alloy|
|Sensor|| 2/3 inch EXR-CMOS sensor
12 million effective pixels
Primary colour filter (RGB color filter array)
|Image sizes|| 4:3
• 4000 x 3000
• 2816 x 2112
• 2048 x 1536
• 4000 x 2664
• 2816 x 1864
• 2048 x 1536
• 4000 x 2448
• 2816 x 1584
• 1920 x 1080
• 2992 x 2992
• 2112 x 2112
• 1536 x 1536
• 360° Vertical 11520 x 1624 Horizontal 11520 x 1080
• 300° Vertical 9600 x 1624 Horizontal 9600 x 1080
• 240° Vertical 7680 x 1624 Horizontal 7680 x 1080
• 180° Vertical 5760 x 1624 Horizontal 5760 x 1080
• 120° Vertical 3840 x 1624 Horizontal 3840 x 1080
|Still image formats|| RAW (.RAF)
JPEG (EXIF 2.3)
RAW + JPEG
|Image processor||Fujifilm EXR processor|
|Movie recording|| 1920 x 1080 Full HD, 30fps
1280 x 720 HD, 30fps
640 x 480 VGA, 30fps
H.264 MOV format
|Lens|| • FUJINON 4x optical zoom lens
• 28-112mm (equivalent to 35mm)
• F2 - F2.8
• 9 groups 11 lenses (3 aspherical glass moulded lenses included)
(from lens surface)
| • Normal: Wide: Approx. 50cm / 1.6ft. to infinity
Telephoto: Approx. 80cm / 2.6ft. to infinity
• Macro: Wide: Approx. 10cm - 3.0m / 0.3ft. - 9.8ft.
Telephoto: Approx. 50cm - 3.0m / 1.6ft. - 9.8ft.
• Super Macro: Approx. 1.0cm -1.0m / 0.4in. - 3.3ft.
|Image stabilization||Lens shift type|
|Auto focus|| • TTL Contrast Detection AF system
• Multi, Area, Tracking
|Focus modes|| • Single shot AF (S-
• Continuous AF (C-AF)
• Manual focus (MF)
|AF assist lamp||• Yes|
|Exposure modes|| • Program AE
• Aperture priority AE
• Shutter priority AE
|Sensitivity|| • ISO 100- 12800
• 6400 and 12800 in extended mode
• Auto ISO
|Metering modes|| • TTL 256-zones metering
• Center-Weighted Average
|Exposure comp.|| • Up to ± 2.0 EV
• 1/3 EV steps
|Shutter speeds|| • 1/4 - 1/4000 sec (Auto mode)
• 30-1/4000 sec (all other modes)
|Self timer||10 or 2 seconds|
|Drive modes|| • Super High?approx. 10fps (Size M,S)
• High?approx. 7fps (Size L,M,S)
• Middle?approx. 5fps (Size L,M,S)
• Low?approx. 3fps (Size L,M,S)
|Auto bracketing|| • AE Bracketing (±1/3EV, ±2/3EV, ±1EV)
• Film Simulation Bracketing (PROVIA/Standard, Velvia/Vivid, ASTIA/Soft)
• Dynamic Range Bracketing (100%, 200%, 400%)
• ISO sensitivity Bracketing (±1/3EV, ±2/3EV, ±1EV)
|White balance|| • Automatic scene recognition
• Fluorescent light (Daylight),
• Fluorescent light (Warm White)
• Fluorescent light (Cool White)
• Incandescent light
• Color temperature selection
|Internal Flash|| • Auto flash (super intelligent flash)
• Effective range: (ISO 800) approx. 50 cm –7 m / 1.6 ft. – 22.9 ft.
|Flash modes|| • Auto
• Forced Flash
• Suppressed Flash
• Slow Synchro
• Red-eye Reduction Auto
• Red-eye Reduction & Forced Flash
• Red-eye Reduction & Slow Synchro
|External Flash||• Hot-Shoe (dedicated TTL flash compatible)|
|Viewfinder|| • Optical viewfinder
• Approx. 85? coverage
• Eye point approx 15mm
• Diopter adjustment -3.5 to +1.5 m-1 (dpt)
|LCD monitor|| • 2.8" TFT colour LCD
• 460,000 dots
• 100% frame coverage
|Connectivity|| • USB 2.0 (Hi Speed)
• Mini HDMI
|Power||• NP-50 Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery|
|Dimensions||117.0 (W) x 69.6 (H) x 56.8 (D) mm
4.6 (W) x 2.7 (H) x 2.2 (D) in.
|Weight|| • Approx. 350g / 12.3oz. (including battery and memory card)
• Approx.330g / 11.6oz. (excluding battery and memory card
|Fujifilm Fujinon 23 mm f/1.4 Wide Angle Lens for X-mount||$749.00|
|Fujifilm X-Pro1 Black Mirrorless Digital Camera||$999.00|
|Fujifilm X-E2 Black Digital Camera Kit w/ 18-55 mm Lens||$999.95|
|Fujifilm Fujinon 27 mm f/2.8 Full Frame Sensor Fixed Focal Length Lens for X-mount||$299.00|
|Fujifilm Fujinon 35 mm f/1.4 Fixed Focal Length Lens for X-mount||$499.00|