Sony gives details of SLT and NEX firmware updates
Sony has given more details of the forthcoming firmware updates for A33, A55 Nex-3 and NEX-5 owners. The updates, which will be available from June 20th, include many of the features built into the newly-announced SLT-A35 and NEX-C3. These include the Picture Effects processing modes and many of the small handling improvements incorporated into the newer models.
SLT- a33/ a55
- Addition of the Picture Effect function (7 Effects, 11 Variations)
- Programmability of the D-RANGE button (on the top panel) to access 14 functions (Drive Mode, Flash Mode, Auto Focus Mode, AF area, Face Detection, Smile Shutter, ISO, Metering Mode, Flash EV Comp, White Balance, DRO/Auto HDR, Creative Style, SCN/Picture Effect, Sweep Shooting)
- Addition of a new mode to turn off display parameters
- Improved operability of the Menu (the ability to return to last selected item instead of menu top)
- Enable High-Speed Sync when using compatible external flash wirelessly (only α55 – α33 already has this feature)
- Addition of Digital level gauge display (on the HDMI output) when using the optional external monitor (like CLM-V55 LCD Monitor)
- Addition of the Picture Effects function (7 Effects, 11 Variations)
- Addition of the Manual Focus Peaking function
- Very minor – when turning off the camera, the “α” logo will be displayed on the LCD
The firmware is set to be released on June 20th, and will operate similarly to recent firmware updates. You'll download an executable file from the web (based on your PC’s OS), and the firmware will be run by the PC to the camera via the supplied USB cable.