Nikon 24 - 120 mm AF-S VR lens
Pre-PMA 2003, 15:00 TOKYO: Nikon has today announced a new Vibration Reduction lens, the 24 - 120 mm AF-S VR F3.5 - F5.6G. This lens marks Nikon's further expansion of their VR lens line and although not a DX lens this lens will no doubt be of interest to Nikon mount D-SLR owners due to its wide 24 mm bottom end. When used with the D1x, D1H or D100 digital SLR's this lens would offer the equivelant field of view of a 36 - 180 mm zoom lens.
Press Release (Nikon Europe):
New compact, high ratio Zoom Nikkor lens with Vibration Reduction
Amsterdam, The Netherlands: Nikon Europe is happy to announce another photographic lens breakthrough from the world's largest manufacturer of photographic lenses, Nikon.
The AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED is the first 5x ratio zoom covering a 24mm focal length to feature Vibration Reduction.
Covering many commonly used focal lengths in one compact zoom lens, the original AF Nikkor 24-120 f3.5-5.6 proved itself a unique and popular choice when a variety of subjects may be encountered. Ideal when space and weight are restricted such as travel photography the wide zoom range offers the opportunity to capture a variety of subjects both close by and far away. From interiors to portraits in one compact package.
The new AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED inherits features familiar from Professional Nikkor lenses such as VR (Vibration Reduction); SWM (Silent Wave Motor) and ED glass, to make a high performance, practical zoom lens suitable for many subjects and lighting conditions.
- Excellent value for money AFS, VR, ED all purpose zoom.
- VR (Vibration Reduction) permits hand held shooting at up to three stops (eight times faster) than a comparable lens.
- SWM (Silent Wave Motor) for supremely quick and quiet auto-focus
- ED Glass elements for outstanding image quality when using film or digital.
- 36-180mm focal length equivalent when used with D100, D1 series cameras.
- Lead and arsenic free environmentally friendly glass elements
- New optical system featuring two aspherical lenses
- G-type* for 1/3 stop aperture accuracy and to save weight
- M/A mode for rapid switching between AF and Manual focus operation
- Nikon Super Integrated Coating (SIC) to reduce ghosting and flare
- Internal focusing (IF) for smoother focusing and great body balance
- 7 bladed rounded diaphragm for natural out of focus highlights
- Flower shaped lens Hood (HB-25) provided
- Latest Nikkor design
- Optional CL-S2 soft lens case
*Note: G-type Nikkor lenses are fully compatible with the D1 series, D100, F5, F100, F80 and F65 cameras.
Speaking about the new member of Nikon's VR Nikkor family; Robert Cristina; Marketing Executive; Professional Film and Digital; Nikon Europe; said: "The unique and original AF Zoom Nikkor 24-120mm lens proved hugely popular for both amateurs and (many) Pros alike. An all in one zoom is sometimes the only lens one can carry and the new lens packs the very best of Nikon's lens technology into a practical and attractively priced package."
Set to replace the original 24-120mm zoom the new lens is scheduled for Release in the early summer. Pricing and precise shipping dates to be confirmed later.
AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED Specifications
|Focal length||24 to 120 mm|
|Lens construction||15 elements in 13 groups (with 2 ED elements)|
|Picture angle||84� -20�30� or 61� -13�20� with Nikon D1/ D100 D-SLR|
|Focus distance||0.5m to infinity (at all zoom settings)|
|Max. reproduction ratio||1/4.7|
|Attachment size||72 mm|
|Dimensions||Approx. 77 mm dia. x 94 mm|
|Weight||Approx. 575 g|