Fujifilm FinePix S8000fd - 18x zoom
Fujiflm has joined the 'big zoom' brigade with a camera designed to go head-to-head with the Olympus SP-550UZ and the new Pansaonic FZ18. Sporting an 18x (27-486mm equiv.) zoom, 8MP sensor and - for the first time in a Fujifilm 'bridge' camera - image stabilization (CCD-shift), the new FinePix S8000fd is Fujifilm's most ambitious S series to date. Other features of note include face detection, 15fps shooting (at reduced resolution) and sensitivity settings of up to ISO 6400 (again, at reduced resolution). Like most recent FinePix digital cameras the new S8000fd accepts both xD and SD/SDHC media.
FUJIFILM FINEPIX S8000fd GETS CLOSE UP WITH INDUSTRY LEADING FEATURES
Advanced SLR Functionality at a Consumer Price-tag
Valhalla, NY, July 26, 2007 – Fujifilm is bringing the wide-angle, long zoom technology to the consumer market with today's introduction of the FinePix S8000fd. The 8-MegaPixel, SLR-styled camera features one of the largest optical zooms on a fixed-lens camera in the industry, and introduces Fujifilm's latest 'Dual Image Stabilization,' plus ISO settings of up to ISO6400 (at 50% resolution) – all features you would expect in a high-end digital camera, but at a price point consumers can afford.
Flexibility & Control
The S8000fd comes equipped with Fujinon's 18x Wide Angle Optical Zoom lens, offering unprecedented flexibility in a compact SLR body style camera. With a 27mm-486mm equivalent, it's all the lens you need in one device. The fixed lens eliminates the need for additional zoom or wide angle lenses, and it's a sealed system, which prevents dust contamination – the #1 D-SLR repair complaint.
The S8000fd also features a full-resolution ISO equivalency of ISO 1600, a rarity in consumer-level digicams. The S8000fd can achieve ISO 3200 and ISO 6400 at 50% resolution, settings that are rare at the consumer level. Such high light sensitivities allow for faster shutter speeds, which reduce blurring caused by both camera shake and subject movement.
Dual Image Stabilization
To offer the best of both worlds where image stabilization is concerned, the S8000fd uses 'Dual Image Stabilization'; a brand new combination of mechanical sensor shift stabilization with Fujifilm's Picture Stabilization Technology which utilizes a combination of higher ISO levels and faster shutter speeds. This 'Dual Image Stabilization' steadies the photographer's hand, and protects against camera shake and subject movement for total anti-blur protection. As a result, an increase in clarity and sharpness is achieved, even in low light conditions or when shooting moving subjects.
Face Detection Technology
The S8000fd features Fujifilm's Face Detection technology, identifying up to 10 faces in a framed scene. Once faces are identified and prioritized, the S8000fd adjusts its focus and exposure accordingly to ensure the sharpness and clarity of human subjects in the picture, regardless of background. Face Detection technology on the S8000fd also includes a new Automatic Red Eye Removal feature. Red eye is a common complaint given by 60% of digital camera users. In this mode, the camera instantly checks each detected fact for red eye, and if it's found, corrects it automatically, saving the time consuming process of fixing it in your PC after the image is downloaded.
Other helpful features found on the FinePix S8000fd for top-quality picture-taking include:
- i-Flash Intelligent Flash: i-Flash (Intelligent Flash) detects subtle lighting differences within a scene and then varies the flash intensity accordingly. It also leverages the high sensitivity of the FinePix S8000fd to enable the camera to use less flash, resulting in an image that displays pleasing, natural tones without a "washed-out" effect. And with an automatic pop-up flash, it's always ready when you need it.
- Full Manual Photographic Control: Gives the user total control with manual adjustment options for settings on the camera (resolution, ISO, aperture, shutter speed, etc), and is desirable by the photo enthusiasts/advanced photographers.
- Movie Mode: Capture VGA quality action clips in 640x480 resolution at 30 fps with sound. Great for when you're out and you don't have your video camera on-hand.
- Scene modes: A wide range of more than a dozen pre-programmed scene modes provides top-quality photos in a range of shooting conditions.
- High-Speed Continuous Shooting Modes: Action comes at you fast. With four speed options, the S8000fd has the ability to capture up to 15 frames per second (at 2 MP resolution) and never misses the shot.
- High Resolution LCD: The 2.5" LCD display offers 230k pixels of resolution with an astonishing 60 fps refresh rate for smooth viewing.
- Electronic Viewfinder (EVF): Rather than framing your shots with the 2.5" high resolution LCD, the S8000fd offers an electronic viewfinder to eye up the best shot with an astonishing 60 fps refresh rate for smooth viewing.
- xD / SD / SD-HC Compatible slot: A new single media slot accepts not only Fujifilm's traditional xD-Picture Cards but also Secure Digital (SD) and SD-High Capacity (SD-HC) cards too.
- Operates on 4xAA Batteries: The ultimate in convenience and accessibility, using AA batteries means in a pinch, more batteries are just moments away.
"With the FinePix S8000 fd, Fujifilm is bringing its heritage in photography and industry leading technology to its customers by offering them incredible optical zoom and ISO levels in a camera priced at a level they can afford," said David Troy, Senior Product Manager, Consumer Digital Cameras, Electronic Imaging Division, FUJIFILM U.S.A., Inc. "By styling advanced DSLR features in a compact, easy to use digicam, we're offering users the tools to capture photos you would swear were captured by a pro."
The FinePix S8000fd will debut in September 2007 at a retail price of $399.95.