Olympus announces C-4040Z (4mp)
12 PM GMT: Olympus has today announced the new C-4040Z. Based on the popular and successful C-3040Z / C-3030Z body and design the new C-4040Z increases the pixel count with the new 1/1.8" 4.1 megapixel CCD we've seen on Sony's DSC-S85. It has the same F1.8 - F2.6, 3x optical zoom lens as used on the C-3040Z (though now with a rubber barrel grip). There's also now the addition of a 7.7 megapixel interpolated mode (in-camera) and a noise reduction system. Burst shooting speed is 2 frames per second for up to 8 images. Street price $1099.
(Scroll down - below specifications for the Press Release).
Olympus C-4040Z Specifications
|Sensor||1/1.8" 4.1 megapixel CCD (effective 3.98 megapixels)|
|Image Sizes||2272 x 1704, 2048 x 1536, 1600 x 1200, 1280 x 960, 1024 x 768, 640 x 480|
|"Englargement Mode"||3200 x 2400, 2816 x 2112|
|Image Quality||TIFF, JPEG (three levels)|
|Lens||3x optical zoom (35 - 105 mm equiv.), F1.8 - F2.6|
|Digital Zoom||Smooth up to 2.5x|
|Metering||ESP, Spot, Multi-Spot|
|Exposure modes||Programmed Auto, Aperture Priority Auto, Shutter Priority Auto|
|Exposure compensation||+/-2 EV in 0.3 EV steps|
|Shutter speeds||Auto: 1 - 1/800 sec
Manual: 16 - 1/800 sec
|Aperture||Wide: F1.8 - F10 (1/3 EV steps)
Tele: F2.5 - F10 (1/3 EV steps)
|Exposure bracketing||3 or 5 images in 0.3, 0.7 or 1.0 EV steps|
|Focusing||TTL "iESP" contrast detection, Manual focus|
|Focus range||Normal: 0.8 m - Infinity
Macro: 0.2 - 0.8m
|Sensitivity||Auto, ISO 100, 200, 400|
|LCD||1.8", 114,000 pixels|
|Flash||Internal, range: Wide: 0.8 - 5.6 m, Tele: 0.2 - 3.8 m|
|Flash modes||Auto (automatic activation in low and backlight), Red-eye reduction, Off (no flash), Fill-in (forced activation). Slow synchronization (first-curtain synchronization effect, second-curtain synchronization effect) External terminal: Off, Auto, Forced activation.|
|External flash||Yes, Olympus proprietary terminal|
|Burst mode||2 fps up to 8 frames (HQ mode)|
|Self timer||12 seconds|
|Power||4 x AA batteries or 2 x CR-V3 Lithium|
|Dimensions||110 x 76 x 70 mm (4.33 x 2.99 x 2.75 in)|
|Weight (no batt.)||320 g (11.3 oz)|
State Street Direct, our official affiliate are now taking pre-orders
the C-4040Z. You can order yours today.
All orders contribute to the upkeep of this site.
OLYMPUS ANNOUNCES THE NEW CAMEDIA C-4040 ZOOM 4 MEGAPIXEL DIGITAL CAMERA
Features Latest CCD, Super Bright Lens and Noise Reduction Technology
for High Quality Digital Photos up to 16" x 20"
June 20, 2001, Melville, NY Olympus America, Inc., the world leader
in film and filmless photography, today announced the CAMEDIA C-4040 ZOOM.
Establishing a new high-end category for Olympus C-Series cameras, the
C-4040 ZOOM builds on the foundation of Olympus award winning C-Series
digital cameras while incorporating exciting new features. The C-4040
ZOOM offers a 4 Megapixel CCD, a super-bright F1.8 high-performance 3X
zoom lens, plus the latest in Olympus image quality and noise reduction
technologies to deliver crisp high-quality prints as large as 16"
The C-4040 is the perfect digital camera for photographers desiring extensive image control capabilities combined with ease of use for creative and artistic applications. Professional photographers will also find the C-4040 ZOOM to be a versatile yet compact solution providing the image quality and output sizes required for magazine and newspaper publication.
Its high-performance 3X zoom lens offers a large aperture that opens to a maximum F1.8 aperture setting for low light photography. Combined with its extended flash working range, the C-4040 ZOOM is a great camera for any low-light shooting situation. Simple to use, the C-4040 ZOOM also features Olympus USB Auto-Connect capabilities for fast and worry-free downloading without the need for any additional software or drivers.
Similar in design to other Olympus C-Series models, the C-4040 ZOOM has an elegant all-black finish and rich ornamental parts that complement new ergonomic controls, including a rubberized lens barrel and grip. The C-4040 ZOOM also retains many popular features found in the C-Series, such as Auto and Manual White Balance, multiple exposure settings to compensate for different lighting conditions, a two-frame-per-second Burst Mode, QuickTime Movie, black and white and sepia shooting modes, Auto Exposure Bracketing (AEB), and several compression settings.
New Features of the C-4040 ZOOM include:
- Noise Reduction System The noise reduction system allows for +/- 5-step sharpness and contrast control for clearer, more precise images. The camera compares similar images and uses that information to minimize background noise in pictures, even during long exposures or in low light conditions
- Super Bright Lens From wide-angle to telephoto settings, the new super-bright 7.1 - 21.3mm 3X zoom lens (35-105mm equivalent in 35mm photography) captures images with unrivaled precision. The 3X optical zoom also allows offers a seamless 7.5X digital zoom to get even closer to the action. The lens permits users to take shallower depth of field images for greater portrait photo opportunities and more freedom in low-light situations.
- Optimum Image Enlargement Mode - Enlarges images up to 3200 x 2400 pixels in SHQ or HQ mode. The C-4040 ZOOM uses a bicubic algorithm and a new high-speed ASIC chip to maximize image quality and processing speed to create sharp, crisp pictures as large as 16" x 20".
- Superior Image Quality A 4.1 megapixel CCD and advanced imaging technology create exceptionally sharp, crisp high-resolution pictures.
- User Friendly Interface A streamlined menu with user-selectable shortcut menus and custom buttons make the camera easy to navigate and program.
- USB Auto-Connect - Connect to any USB-compatible Windows computer (running Windows Me or 2000) or Macintosh (running MacOS 8.6+) for easy downloading of image files to computers without any additional software.
- Designed Menu Navigation System Never miss another moment fumbling through layers of camera settings. Custom buttons and shortcut settings make adjustments quick and easy.
- Ruggedized Lens Barrel The new ruggedized rubber grip around the lens barrel provides for surer handling in any weather condition, and protects the lens even without a cap. A tethered line ensures the lens cap is never lost when one is used.
Standard features of the C-4040 include:
- Spot AF Function - A Spot AutoFocus function allows the camera to focus on points specifically selected by the photographer.
- White Balance Get exacting control over white balance settings in any lighting condition and ensure proper color reproduction. The iESP multi-patterned white balance system automatically adjusts system settings to deliver the best image quality, or select one of the four manual white balance presets for more precise control. In addition, a new +/-3 step white balance correction function enables minor adjustments in color tones.
- Metering Modes - The C-4040 ZOOM offers users a choice of ESP multi-patterned metering and spot metering for easy, yet advanced exposure control. The ESP multi-pattern meter looks at a variety of areas in the subject area for proper overall exposure. Spot metering allows for pinpoint control of subject exposure using only the very center of the image area. The C-4040 ZOOM also includes a new Multi-Spot metering mode that combines up to eight spot reading positions and averages them together for total control over subject exposure. The C-4040 ZOOMs versatile metering capabilities make it one of the most advanced models in the field of 4 Megapixel cameras.
- Sharpness and Contrast Settings Get the best possible pictures every time. Flexible sharpness and contrast controls let the photographer take full control of final output quality. Soft, Normal and Hard Sharpness settings adjust the definition around the subject to meet any need. Low to High Contrast control regulates dark and light areas to capture any image with just the right amount of contrast and depth.
- QuickTime Movie with Sound - QuickTime Movie mode allows users to
capture up to 120 seconds of video with simultaneously recorded sound.
For still images, the C-4040 ZOOM lets users record a 4-second audio
attachment, ideal for voice memos. Audio may be re-recorded over images,
with functionality supported by Olympus CAMEDIA Master software.
Olympus provides a wide range of optional accessories for the C-4040 ZOOM including a camera case; FL-40 external flash for synchronized shooting with TTL cable and bracket; an assortment of lenses from 28mm to 152mm equivalent; RM-1 remote control; NiMH batteries and charger; C7AU AC adapter.
The CAMEDIA C-4040 ZOOM will be available August 2001 with an estimated street price of $1099. It ships with an 16MB Olympus SmartMedia memory card, USB cable, AV cable, two 3V lithium battery packs (CR-3V), lens cap and retainer cord, remote control, Olympus Camedia Master 2.5 Utility Software for image manipulation and creation, instruction manual, QuickStart Guide, lens cap and strap.
C-4040 ZOOM Street Price $1099.