Nikon Coolpix 2500
PMA 2002: 07:00
EST GMT: Nikon has today announced
the stylish, new split-body (with a twist) Coolpix 2500. This new model
is the first split-body Coolpix where the twisting lens portion of the
camera sits inside the main body. This offers better protection to the
lens when closed and a stiffer, more robust overall camera feel. The Coolpix
2500 has a 2 megapixel CCD sensor, a 3x optical zoom lens and easy-to-use
features. The Coolpix 2500 is a stylish shift from the previous Coolpix
split-body range and marks an interesting new option in the 'middle ground'
of the digital camera market.
Press Release (Nikon Europe):
Nikon Coolpix 2500
Nikon: Digital With a Twist
Nikon is known as company synonymous with photographic tradition, yet prepared to take a lead with radical, innovative products that set world standards. For example, whilst the classic F-mount continues the legend as the mechanical link between Nikon award-winning SLR cameras and the 30 million lenses so far produced, the desktop scanner market was revolutionised in 1995 with the appearance four generations ago with the Nikon Coolscan: the first 35mm film scanner small enough to sit comfortably next to a laptop computer.
A compact Digital camera capable of "taking a picture", rather than simply "capturing an image" was another Nikon first: the Coolpix 900, and the revolution continued in professional photography with the ground-breaking Digital SLR, the D-1.
Now, Nikon has mixed high-power performance, cool design and ease of use in a modern alchemy of style and functionality. The Coolpix 2500 is a radical new compact camera where for once, the engineers had to fit their part into the form given to them by the industrial design team rather than the other way round.
"We'll sculpt the outside, then figure out how to fit the works inside" was the philosophy behind the 2500.
Taking a cue from a host of modern design idioms, not least MP3 players, top-end mobile phones and personal accessories, Nikon have produced a camera that fits into a modern lifestyle yet which is still first and foremost everything that a Nikon camera should be - image quality and ergonomic simplicity.
One look at the swivelling body - cleverly contained inside the camera housing -tells the world that something new is again about to break the existing rules in the world of camera design, and the name on the product is, once again, Nikon. The extra length in the rotating lens part has made it possible to incorporate high quality Nikkor optics, yet retain a compact format that fits in the hand, pocket or bag. Operation is simple by means of the cleverly positioned buttons and inside, Nikon's know-how in Digital Imaging means that the Coolpix 2500 is a camera that delivers sensational images in all manner of situations, with satisfying quality.
Reaction to the design has been positive: "It was clear, after showing a preview of this product, that some people just wanted to keep the camera in their hands and never give it back. It turned out to be something to hold as much as something to take a picture with - which is great because, people will keep this camera with them and will take many more photographs than ever before, really getting the benefit of digital."
The Coolpix 2500 Nikon have captured today's spirit with a camera that challenges thinking yet delivers value, quality and style in a package that is truly a pleasure to own and use.
Nikon Coolpix 2500 Major Features
- 3x Zoom 2.0 effective megapixel Digital Camera
- 2.0 effective megapixel sensor for 1,600 x 1,200-pixel images
- 3x Zoom-Nikkor lens with 5.6-16.8mm coverage (equivalent to 37-111mm in 35mm  camera format); digital zoom up to 4x magnification (12x when combined with optical zoom)
- Nikon�s advanced image-processing algorithm ensures faithful color reproduction
- Exclusive 256-segment Matrix Metering and Matrix Auto White Balance for outstanding exposure and white balance control.
- Macro shooting capability as close as 4cm (1.6 in.) with the convenient Best Shot Selector (BSS) function
- Smooth and quiet zoom operation and responsive camera operations
- AUTO Mode for point-and-shoot operation
- 5-Area Multi Autofocus for easier photo composition
- 12 Scene Modes � choose from 12 different "scenes" (Portrait, Party/Indoor, Night Portrait, Beach/Snow, Landscape, Sunset, Night Landscape, Museum, Fireworks Show, Close Up, Copy, Back Light)
- Advanced, built-in 5-mode Speedlight
- Quick Review allows viewing of captured images at the press of a button -- even while the camera is in shooting mode
- Transfer function enables automatic uploading of selected COOLPIX 2500 image data to a computer
- Small Picture function creates a small size copy for rapid e-mail tranmission.
- Versatile White Balance settings to neutralize the effects of different lighting
- Automatic Noise Reduction function for superior images at slow shutter speeds
- USB interface for Plug-and-Play and compatible with devices that support USB Mass Storage class
- Stylish design with an inner-swivel lens
- Ergonomic design features intuitive button layout for superb operability
- Compact and lightweight (165g/5.8oz.) body
- Bright, clear 1.5-in., 110,000-dot, low-temperature polysilicon TFT LCD monitor
- Long battery life of approx. 80 min. with Rechargeable Li-ion Battery EN-EL2*
- Supplied with Lens strap, CompactFlash� card, USB cable, Rechargeable Li-ion Battery EN-EL2*, Battery Charger MH-60*, Nikon View 5 (COOLPIX) CD-ROM
- New dedicated LCD Hood HL-E2500 is available as an option
- Supports EPSON "PRINT Image Matching" technology
* Depending on the country or area, the battery and charger may not be included, but will be available as an option.
** COOLPIX 2500 supports EPSON's "PRINT Image Matching". "PRINT Image Matching" is a technology that assists in producing vivid photo-quality prints from PIM-enabled digital cameras. To obtain this benefit, a digital camera and printer that are compatible with "PRINT Image Matching" are required.
Nikon Coolpix 2500 Feature Highlights
Stylish, small, simple
The COOLPIX 2500's unique inner-swivel lens design enables easy, versatile shooting capability from different angles. Small and light, (165g/5.8 oz.) with the lens retracted, its flat, sleek form fits easily into a pocket or handbag and ergonomic, easy-to-use buttons ensure easy, swift and intuitive operation.
Great image quality
The COOLPIX 2500 features a 3x Zoom-Nikkor lens with a focal range of 5.6-16.8mm (equivalent to 37-111mm in 35mm/135 camera format) to deliver sharp images of near or distant subjects. The camera's 2.0 effective megapixel sensor delivers high-definition 1,600 x 1,200-pixel images of exceptional clarity and expression. Furthermore, Nikon's proven advanced image-processing algorithm delivers remarkably authentic color reproduction and crisp results.
Versatile and easy operation
The COOLPIX 2500's Auto mode and 12 programmed Scene Modes make it easy to capture optimal image results in a wide variety of situations. Any user can enjoy taking great images simply by choosing the right Scene mode for the situation. For fast-action situations, continuous shooting mode delivers several consecutive full-sized images in just seconds and Movie recording mode provides up to 15 seconds of video clip recording time
- Portrait - Emphasizes a subject with natural skin tones against a soft, pleasing background.
- Party/Indoor - Captures the details of dimly lit scenes. The Speedlight fires automatically in extremely low-light situations.
- Night Portrait - Fires the built-in Speedlight to illuminate the subject but keeps the shutter open long enough to capture the background.
- Beach/Snow - Vividly captures the brightness of subjects such as snowy fields, beaches, or sunlit expanses of water.
- Landscape - Captures distant scenes with exceptional sharpness and clarity.
- Sunset - Enables users to capture the natural beauty of sunsets.
- Night Landscape - Employs slow shutter speeds to capture stunning
- Museum - Produces clear indoor pictures without triggering the flash (Note: In some museums and exhibitions, photography is prohibited, even without flash. Be sure to obtain permission before taking any pictures.)
- Fireworks Show - Responds instantly to the shutter release button to capture fireworks at the ideal moment.
- Close Up - Takes up-close pictures with an artistically blurred background.
- Copy - Renders clear black and white reproductions of text or drawings from a whiteboard or printed matter.
- Back Light - Speedlight fires automatically to illuminate the
shadows that cover a subject.
Quick-and-easy image transfer
The COOLPIX 2500's Transfer function enables easy one-touch data upload* via the USB cable. This automatically transfers selected pictures in the COOLPIX 2500 straight to the user's computer. *Requires Nikon View 5 software (supplied).
Convenient e-mail image data transfer
The Small Picture function automatically creates a copy with image of size just right for e-mailing or Web posting.
Quick image checking
A simple press of the Quick Review button allows users to see their photos
without having to switch between modes.
Nikon Coolpix 2500 specifications
|Body type||Split body twisting lens portion|
|Sensor||1/2.7" 2.11 million total pixels|
|Effective pixels||2.0 million|
|Sensitivity||Normal: ISO 100 (Auto ISO 200-400)|
|Lens||3x optical zoom, 37 - 111mm equiv., F2.7 - 4.8|
|Lens construction||7 elements in 6 groups|
|Focus distance|| Normal: 30 cm - Infinity
Macro: 4 cm - Infinity
|Auto focus||Auto 5-area AF|
|Digital zoom||Up to 4x in 0.2x steps|
|Image sizes|| 1600 x 1200
1280 x 960
1024 x 768
640 x 480
|Image formats (JPEG)|| Fine (4:1)
|Shooting modes|| Auto
Scene (Portrait, Party/Indoor, Night Portrait, Beach/Snow, Landscape, Sunset, Night Landscape, Museum, Fireworks Show, Close Up, Copy, Back Light)
Manual (includes shooting menu for control of White Balance, Capture Mode, Best-Shot Selector, Exposure Compensation, Noise Reduction, and Image Sharpening)
Movie (up to 15 sec. of QVGA frames at 15 fps)
|Shutter speed||2 sec - 1/3000 sec|
|Apertures||Wide: F2.7, F4.5|
|White balance|| Auto
White balance preset
|Drive modes|| Single
Multi-shot 16 (16 frames on a single image)
|Flash||Internal, beside lens|
|Flash range|| Wide: 0.4 - 3.0 m (1.3
- 9.8 ft)
Tele: 0.4 - 1.7 m (1.3 - 5.6 ft)
|Flash modes|| Auto
Flash cancel (off)
Anytime Flash (fill-flash)
|Storage||Compact Flash Type I|
|LCD monitor||1.5" 110,000 pixel|
|Playback modes|| Single image
4 or 9 thumbnail
Magnify up to 6.0x in 0.3x steps
Picture information display
|Compliance||EPSON Print Image Matching (PIM), DCF, DPOF|
|Power||Nikon EN-EL2 Lithium-Ion rechargable battery|
|Dimensions||114 x 60 x 32 mm (4.5 x 2.3 x 1.2 in)|
|Weight (no batt, CF card)||165 g (5.8 oz)|
|Supplied accessories||Strap, 8MB CF card, USB cable, Rechargeable Li-ion Battery EN-EL2, Battery Charger MH-60, Nikon View 5 (COOLPIX) CD-ROM|
|Optional accessories||Rechargeable Li-ion Battery EN-EL2, AC Adapter Kit EH-60, Various size CF cards, LCD Hood HL-2500, Case CS-2500|
Nikon Coolpix 2500 2MP Digital Camera
w/ 3x Optical Zoom
Nikon Coolpix 2500 2MP Digital Camera
w/ 3x Optical Zoom
Nikon COOLPIX L840 Digital Camera RED - Bundle
With 32GB Class 10 SDHC Card, Camera Case, 4 AA NiMH 2500mAh Batteries/Charger, Table Top Tripod, Memory Wallet, cleaning Kit
Nikon COOLPIX L840 Digital Camera Black - Bundle
With 32GB Class 10 SDHC Card, Camera Case, 4 AA NiMH 2900mAh Batteries/Charger, Table Top Tripod, Memory Wallet, cleaning Kit