Sony World Photography Awards 2015 open for submissions
The Sony World Photography Awards are now accepting entries for 2015. The contest is open to professionals and amateurs alike, from anywhere in the world. Submissions will be accepted until early January 2015 for four different competitions: Open, Professional, Youth and Student Focus with a number of categories in each group. Winners receive cash prizes and Sony gear.
2015 Sony World Photography Awards open for entries
The 2015 Sony World Photography Awards, organised by the World Photography Organisation, are now open for entries. Professional, amateur, youth and student photographers from across the world can enter their best work for free at www.worldphoto.org. Photographers will compete for a range of cash prizes and the latest cutting edge digital imaging equipment from Sony. Overall winners will be announced at a gala ceremony held in London on 23 April 2015.
2015 Sony World Photography Awards
Since its launch in 2007, over 700,000 images from 230 countries have been submitted to the Sony World Photography Awards. Seeking the very best in international contemporary photography, the awards have established themselves as one of the world’s leading photography competitions. The most recent winner of the L'Iris d'Or/ Photographer of the Year title is American photographer Sara Naomi Lewkowiczfor her series 'Shane and Maggie' a powerful and intimate examination of domestic violence as a process.
The winner of the 2015 L'Iris d'Or/Photographer of the Year title and the Open Photographer of the Year will both receive cash prizes. All category winners will receive the latest digital imaging equipment from Sony, and the Student Focus winner will receive a range of new, cutting edge Sony digital imaging equipment for his or her university. Winning and shortlisted photographs will also be published in the 2015 edition of the Sony World Photography Awards book and exhibited at Somerset House, London. The 2015 Sony World Photography Awards include the following competitions:
- Professional – 15 categories judged on a series of work
- Open – 10 categories judged on a single image
- Youth – three categories for photographers under 20. Judged on a single image
- Student Focus – for higher education photography students aged 18-30
The Open and Youth competitions will close for entries at 23.59 GMT on Monday 5 January 2015 with the exception of the Professional competition, which will close at 23.59 GMT on Thursday 8 January 2015. A list of categories can be found in the notes to editors.
The brief for the 2015 Student Focus competition is to shoot a single image that symbolises contemporary consumer culture. The image can be sensationalist or low-key but it must be something the photographer feels is a reflection of today’s society. Entries to the Student Focus competition close on 6 December 2014.
The key dates for the 2015 Sony World Photography Awards are:
- 6 December 2014 – Student Focus competition closes
- 5 January 2015 – Open and Youth competition close
- 8 January 2015 – Professional competition closes
- 10 February 2015 – Shortlist for Professional, Open, Youth and Student Focus competitions revealed
- 17 March 2015 – Outstanding Contribution to Photography recipient announced
- 31 March 2015 – Open and Youth winners revealed
- 23 April 2015 – L'Iris d'Or/Photographer of the Year plus Professional category winners and Open, Youth and Student Focus Photographers of the Year revealed at gala ceremony held in London
- 24 April-10 May – 2015 Sony World Photography Awards Exhibition at Somerset House, London
Further details about the Sony World Photography Awards and the World Photography Organisation can be found at www.worldphoto.org