123di launches 'The 123 of digital imaging' Version 6
123di.com has announced Version 6.0 of Vincent Bockaert's 'The 123 of digital imaging Interactive Learning Suite'. 123di is an interactive learning application for Windows and Mac that includes user controllable animations and simulations. It aims to cover all aspects of the digital imaging workflow, including photography techniques, in three selectable user levels. Editing techniques are centered around Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 2, Elements 7, CS4, and Camera Raw. Reduced-price upgrades are available for existing users.
August 6, 2009
123di.com announces "The 123 of digital imaging Interactive Learning Suite - Version 6.0" for Windows and Macintosh.
123di Version 6.0 Integrates Photography Techniques with Post-processing
Post-processing rarely turns wrongly exposed or badly composed images into winners. Even the most sophisticated editing techniques and software are simply no substitute for excellent photography. On the other hand, photographers who ignore post-processing are not making full use of the potential of digital imaging, even if they are professional photographers using the best equipment. Post-processing makes it possible to bring even award-winning images to the next level by allowing the photographer to capture the entire dynamic range of the scene, allocate tonal detail exactly where it is desired, adjust perspective, correct for lens imperfections, tweak the color to the gamut of the monitor or print, add the right amount of sharpening depending on the desired output, etc.
Precisely with this in mind, 123di Version 6.0 advocates a three-step integrated approach to create winning images: capture the best possible picture by focusing on the correct camera settings and applying the right photography techniques, and bring the results to the next level with post-processing, preferably in RAW. Instead of treating these as three sequential and separate steps, the holistic 123di approach recommends shooting with the post-processing abilities in mind.
Three-step Interactive Learning Experience
While camera manuals state “how” to configure your camera, 123di explains “why”, “where”, and “when” certain settings are needed to achieve the desired photographic objectives. Among other things, a unique “interactive simulation” makes it incredibly easy to understand how aperture, shutterspeed, and sensitivity affect exposure, depth of field, motion blur, noise, and diffraction in the various exposure modes. One single interactive page simulates hundreds of scenarios and replaces days of practical experience, hours of video, and hundreds of pages in a conventional book. This “hands-on” interactive learning experience is backed up by theoretical background information.
Creating amazing images is not just about getting the camera settings right, it is also about finding the little “extra” that sets the extra-ordinary image apart from the ordinary one. This requires evolving from a “point-and-shoot” to a “move-around-and-shoot” photographer who applies proper composition techniques and always pays attention to the lighting at the scene. 123di illustrates this through practical examples, often showing an “average” way and a “unique” way to capture the same scene.
After the best possible picture is captured, it can be taken to the next level by post-processing. 123di contains a wide variety of image enhancement tutorials, including an in-depth coverage of RAW conversion, and the latest localized adjustment techniques. 123di’s unique learning method splits up editing techniques in easy to understand one-page steps. User controllable “discrete” animations only show the relevant steps, making them much easier to follow and study at your own pace compared to “continuous” videos. Moreover, while many resources only explain “how”, 123di goes one step further by analyzing the results of automated methods and explaining workarounds and manual adjustments.
123di Covers All Aspects of the Digital Imaging Workflow
1. Understanding digital imaging, digital camera selection, and photography techniques.
2. Enhancing your images in the “pixelroom”.
3. Managing, viewing, sharing, and printing your images.
Highly Integrated and Interactive Content
123di contains over 5,000 interactive screen-size pages filled with thousands of full color graphics and animations organized into 173 topics. The practical content is highly cross-referenced with digital photography background theory.
Three Selectable User Levels
1. Starter sections are like "executive summaries". These brief introductions with simplified and synthesized content are ideal if the reader has little time and wants to keep it simple.
2. Essential sections get the reader up to speed quickly and are a must read for beginners. But even for advanced readers they are a nice refresher before diving into the advanced sections. Image editing tutorials in the essential sections are based on Adobe Photoshop Elements 7, 6, 5, 4 & 3.
3. Advanced sections build on the essential sections and are more in-depth and detailed, and technical at times. Image editing tutorials in the advanced sections are based on Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 2.4 & 1.4, Photoshop CS4, CS3, CS2, & CS, including those Photoshop CS4 & CS3 Extended features that are relevant for digital photography.
14 Key Software Packages Covered
Adobe Photoshop Elements 7, 6, 5, 4 & 3 Editor, Photoshop Elements 7, 6, 5, 4 & 3 Organizer, Adobe Photoshop CS4, CS3, CS2, CS, including CS3 & CS4 Extended, Photoshop Lightroom 2.4 and 1.4 are featured with animated tutorials and interactive graphical user interfaces that are unique to 123di. Many other software packages such as Bridge CS4, CS3, & CS, PTGui, ACDSee Photomanager 2009, and Photorescue are also briefly covered.
A separate version for Nikon users covers Capture NX 2.2, Capture NX 1.4, Nikon Capture 4.4, Nikon Scan 3 & 4, and Camera Control Pro 2. This is in addition to the content of the regular version. Users of the regular version can upgrade to the Nikon version at any time by topping up the price difference (no additional upgrade fee).
Besides reading 123di like a printed book, 123di offers many alternative ways to quickly find the information such as interactive graphical user interfaces, digital imaging workflow diagrams, index, before and after images, frequently asked digital imaging questions, interactive slide show, and custom bookmarks.
Photography Techniques to Shoot Amazing Pictures
New in Version 6.0, this chapter focuses on the right camera settings and composition techniques to capture the best possible image as input for post-processing. This is achieved through practical examples and a unique interactive simulation which shows how aperture, shutterspeed, and sensitivity affect exposure, depth of field, motion blur, noise, and diffraction in the various exposure modes.
Complete Theory on Digital Photography
123di has extensive coverage on digital photography concepts such as resolution, compression, color bit depth, dynamic range, noise, focal length multiplier, sensor types, pixel density, etc. The inner workings of cameras, scanners, accessories, monitors, and printers are explained in detail. Detailed full color graphics, animations, interactive simulations and interactive calculators allow for an accelerated way of learning that gets the reader involved.
Buying Guides for Cameras, Scanners, Monitors, and Printers
Detailed buying guides for cameras, scanners, monitors, printers, and accessories help in the reader's buying decision process.
Practical Image Editing Techniques
Useful image editing techniques cover various approaches to create spectacular images and overcome limitations of the scene, the photographer, or the camera. Fully controllable “discrete” animations with “back”, “forward”, “play”, and “pause” buttons allow for a more effective way of learning compared to videos and printed media.
Color management is featured throughout 123di to ensure consistent and accurate color during the entire workflow, covering both Macintosh and Windows platforms.
Working in RAW
123di has a comprehensive practical and theoretical coverage of working in RAW. Practical examples are based on Adobe Camera Raw for all Adobe Photoshop versions. The Nikon version also covers Capture NX 2.2, Capture NX 1.4, and Nikon Capture 4.4.
New Content in Version 6.0
- New chapter on using the right camera settings and composition techniques to shoot amazing pictures.
- Extensive coverage of Adobe Photoshop Elements 7 (Editor and Organizer), Photoshop Lightroom 2.4, Photoshop CS4 & CS4 Extended, including Camera Raw 5, from a digital photographer's perspective. All new relevant features are explained with dedicated tutorials, such as content-aware scaling, depth of field blending, smart brush tool, targeted adjustment tool, etc. The content about Photoshop Elements 3, 4, 5, 6 and Photoshop CS, CS2, and CS3 is still included.
- Enhanced and expanded coverage on working with layers, adjustment layers, layer masks, and smart objects in Photoshop.
- Chapter 12 - “Working in RAW mode” starts with a new introduction about the latest trends in RAW processing. This chapter is also updated for Adobe Camera Raw 5.x, Capture NX 2.2 (for the Nikon version), and in-depth RAW background information to get the most out of RAW images. The content about Camera Raw 1.x, 2.x, 3.x, & 4.x, Nikon Capture 4.4, and Capture NX 1.4, is still included.
- Detailed coverage of working with wide-gamut (Adobe RGB) monitors.
- Thousands of modifications and updates were made to the content and hundreds of pages were added to keep 123di fully updated with the latest changes in technology and post-processing.
New Features in Version 6.0
- Version 6.0 is based on the updated Content Visualization Engine for Windows and Macintosh (Universal Binary) which was introduced with Version 5.0.
- Search engine now allows searches based on multiple keywords (Extended Edition only).
- Compared to the Standard Edition, the Extended Edition comes with additional navigation features:
- New search engine with multiple keywords providing instant results
- “Add Bookmarks” and “View Bookmarks” buttons allowing the reader to add and organize an unlimited number of bookmarks.
- “Add Notes” button to add notes to any page.
- Transfer bookmarks and notes between computers.
- Reduce or enlarge the default font size to enhance readability.
- Opens on the last page you viewed in your previous session.
- Opens with the window size and position of your previous 123di session.
- Users can upgrade from the Standard to the Extended Edition at any time by topping up the price difference (no additional upgrade fee).
Unlike printed books, 123di is regularly updated with the latest technology at very affordable upgrade rates so the initial investment in 123di is preserved. Upgrades are free for readers who bought Version 5.0 on or after May 6, 2009. Otherwise, upgrades start from just US$14.95.
During the last 9 years, 123di developed and enhanced its own content visualization engine specifically optimized for a unique and accelerated computer-based interactive learning experience. 123di Version 6.0 is compatible with both Windows (XP/VISTA/7) and Macintosh (OS X 10.4 or higher) platforms.
123di is a leader and innovator in the creation of interactive learning content for users of digital cameras and image editing software. The 123 of digital imaging Interactive Learning Suite is sold in more than 70 countries in a variety of formats: download, mailorder, retail, and high volume OEM, corporate, and educational volume licenses. 123di is not only popular among individual digital camera users from beginners to professionals, but is also used as a reference in schools, manufacturers of sensors, chipsets, cameras, and memory cards, as well as imaging departments in government organizations such as the army, forensics, and police forces.
Free Windows and Macintosh demos can be downloaded from http://www.123di.com.
Dec 17, 2009
Mar 20, 2008
Aug 6, 2009
Jul 29, 2009