Building & Using a Tracking Mount for Astrophotography
The Green Laser and Its Mount
It is important to use a green laser rather than the more common red laser. This is so because the human eye is much more sensitive to green light than red. A red laser would simply not be visible in the sky during polar alignment.
Shown here is the green laser in its mount made from white, 3/4-inch PVC pipe. Threaded into each end of the mount are 3 nylon screws for adjusting the aim of the laser. The middle screw on top activates the laser push-button switch.
- 1 Introduction
- 2 Building the Mount
- 3 Some Tips for Construction
- 4 Further Tips for Construction
- 5 Aligning the Green Laser With the Hinge Pin
- 6 Green Laser and Its Mount
- 7 Finishing the Mount
- 8 Using the Tracking Mount
- 9 Some Astrophotos Made Utilizing The Tracking Mount
- 10 Some Further Observations and Conclusions