Building & Using a Tracking Mount for Astrophotography
Aligning the Green Laser With the Hinge Pin
The green laser is installed in an adjustable mount, much like a telescope's finder scope. The method to align the laser beam to be parallel to the hinge pin is as follows:
- Lift the upper mount plate, disengaging the two gears.
- If necessary, spin the large gear so that it is snug against the upper plate.
- Turn on the laser, noting the spot where the beam hits a distant target.
- Rotate the plate through about 90 degrees.
- If the laser beam is not parallel to the pin, the laser spot will move on the target.
- Adjust the laser in its mount (via the 6 nylon adjustment screws) until the laser spot no longer moves on the target when the plate is rotated. When that is achieved, the laser beam is parallel to the pin.
When the camera is pointed north of the celestial equator as shown below, the laser and its mount can be removed to avoid interference with the camera and its monitor.
|This image shows the green laser and its mount removed from the top plate to give clearance for the camera.|
The views and opinions expressed in this article are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions held by dpreview.com or any affiliated companies.
- 1 Introduction
- 2 Building the Mount
- 3 Some Tips for Construction
- 4 Further Tips for Construction
- 5 Aligning the Green Laser With the Hinge Pin
- 6 Green Laser and Its Mount
- 7 Finishing the Mount
- 8 Using the Tracking Mount
- 9 Some Astrophotos Made Utilizing The Tracking Mount
- 10 Some Further Observations and Conclusions
Sony NEX5NKB Compact System Camera Zoom Kit - Black (16.1 MP, SEL 18-55mm Lens)
Sony NEX5AS Alpha Compact System Camera - 16mm F2.8 Lens. Silver
Sony NEX5KB Alpha Compact System Camera - 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Lens - Black
Sony NEXF3 16.1MP Interchangeable Lens Compact System Digital Camera
with 18-55mm Lens - Black
Sony NEX5NKS Compact System Camera Zoom Kit - Silver (16.1 MP, SEL 1855mm Lens)
Sony NEX7KB.CEH Digital Compact System Camera
with 18-55 Lens Kit (24.3MP, 10x Digital Zoom) 3.0 inch LCD Screen
Sony NEX5RKB Compact System Camera Zoom Kit - Black (16.1MP, SEL 18-55mm...
Sony NEX5RKW Compact System Camera Zoom Kit - White (16.1MP, SEL 18-55mm...
Sony NEX5NDB Compact System Camera Double Lens Kit (16.1 MP, SEL 1855mm
and SEL 16F28mm Lens)