Pentax unveils Optio WG-1 & WG-1 GPS rugged compacts
CP+ 2011: Pentax has unveiled the GPS-enabled Optio WG-1 GPS and the WG-1 rugged compacts. Tougher than the Optio W90 released last year, both are designed to be crushproof against pressures of up to 100 kilograms (220 pounds), dustproof, waterproof up to 10 meters (33 ft), coldproof down to -10°C (14°F) and shock-resistant for drops of up to 1.5 meters (5 ft). Features-wise the 14MP cameras incorporate the same 28-140mm equiv. zoom lens, 2.7" LCD and 720p HD recording capability as the W90.
PENTAX ANNOUNCES OPTIO WG-1 AND WG-1 GPS DIGITAL CAMERAS
February 7, 2011(GOLDEN,CO) : PENTAX Imaging Company has announced its 12th generation of adventure series digital cameras – the PENTAX Optio WG-1 and PENTAX Optio WG-1 GPS. Featuring outstanding waterproof, dustproof, shockproof, coldproof, and crushproof capability, these extra-rugged models take adventure photography to new heights (and depths).
The new and improved features on the PENTAX Optio WG-1 include:
- 14 megapixel sensor.
- Waterproof to 33 feet.
- Shockproof, ruggedized design to withstand falls up to 5 feet.
- New crushproof construction* to withstand weight force up to 220 pounds (100kg kilogram-force).
- Enhanced Digital Microscope mode that offers five macro LEDs for excellent macro lighting plus a detachable macro stand for steadier capture.
- Fast Face Detection technology, Smile Capture, and Blink Detection for portraits including a handy new Self-Portrait Assist mode perfect for facebooking and other social networking activities.
- Available with and without GPS, the WG-1 GPS functionality** tracks and records positional data recording with images for geo-tagging applications making it easy for users to check the shooting locations of captured images and link the data with PC-based maps.
Other important WG-1 features include:
- Coldproof to sub-freezing temps of minus 10 degrees C (14 degrees F).
- Dustproof protection for dry, dusty environments.
- Wide angle 5X internal optical zoom lens (28-140mm equivalent).
- Large 2.7 inch LCD features a wide angle 16:9 aspect ratio with anti-reflective coating.
- Video capture in widescreen 720p HD at 30 frames per second.
- Pixel Track and Digital Shake Reduction ensure sharp, blur-free images.
- An autofocus assist lamp helps to quickly and accurately focus, even in challenging lighting.
- An HDMI port to play back beautiful, high definition images and video on HDTVs.
- Infrared remote control compatibility with the waterproof Remote Control WP, as well as other PENTAX infrared remotes.
- Designed with the look of mountaineering equipment, the new Optios includes a woven web fabric strap in complementary color accents complete with a carabiner to attach the camera to a backpack and other outdoor gear.
- Eye-Fi wireless SD memory card connectivity for built-in Wi-Fi capability to transfer photos and videos from the camera to a computer or an online sharing site (Eye-fi cards sold separately.)
Priced at $349.95 USD, Optio WG-1 will be available in a choice of Black or Purple, while the Optio WG-1 GPS will be priced at $399.95 USD and available in Black or Yellow Green. Both cameras will ship in April 2011.A waterproof infared remote control (sold separately) for use with the PENTAX Optio WG-1 and other infrared compatible Optio models is available now for $29.95 USD.
*Measured under PENTAX-original testing standards.
** GPS included only on the select WG-1 GPS model.
Optio WG-1 GPS
|Image sizes||14M (4288x3216)
10M (1:1, 3216x3216)
10M (16:9, 4224x2376)
5M (16:9 3072x1728)
4M (16:9, 2592x1464)
2M (16:9, 1920x1080)
|Movie mode|| 1280 x 720
640 x 480
320 x 240
|Image stabilization|| Pixel Track SR
|Lens|| 5x zoom
11 elements in 9 groups (5 aspherical elements)
5-25mm (approx. 28 - 140mm in 35mm format)
|Digital zoom||approx. 6.7x|
|Focus modes|| Multi (9-point)
|AF assist lamp||Yes|
1/1500- 1/4 sec.
|Aperture values||F3.5 - F5.5|
|White balance|| Auto
approx 230K dots
|Flash range|| Wide: approx. 0.3 - 3.9m (ISO Auto)
Tele: approx. 0.98 - 2.5m (ISO Auto)
|Storage|| Built-in Memory (approx. 97 MB)
SD/SDHC/SDXC Memory Card
|Power|| Rechargeable D-LI92 lithium-ion battery
Optional AC adapter kit is also available
|Dimensions||114 × 58 × 28 mm (4.5 x 2.3 x 1.1 inches)|
|Weight (with battery)||Approx. 157g (5.3oz)|