2014 Waterproof Camera Roundup
To evaluate the real-world image quality of the four rugged cameras we took the same photo of Seattle's iconic Space Needle, with the Olympic mountains in the background.
The initial view gives you a quick look at the sharpness of each of the four (well, three) lenses used by the Canon PowerShot D30, Nikon Coolpix AW120, Olympus Tough TG-3, and Pentax WG-4. The D30 and WG-4 are looking the best here, and the Olympus - which uses the same lens as the WG-4 - is just a bit softer, likely due to image processing.
The difference in noise reduction techniques becomes quite apparent when you look at the Canon and Nikon side-by-side. Canon is relatively conservative - hence the luminance noise - while Nikon has chosen to crush all noise, which gives image a soft,. Even if you , you can still see that the Canon and Pentax have a slight advantage.
- 1 2014 Waterproof Camera Roundup
- 2 Canon PowerShot D30
- 3 Canon PowerShot D30 (con't)
- 4 Nikon Coolpix AW120
- 5 Nikon Coolpix AW120 (con't)
- 6 Olympus Tough TG-3
- 7 Olympus Tough TG-3 (con't)
- 8 Ricoh WG-4 GPS
- 9 Ricoh WG-4 GPS (con't)
- 10 Real-world Comparison (daylight)
- 11 Real-world Comparison (low light)
- 12 Studio Comparison
- 13 Other cameras to consider
- 14 Conclusion and Recommendations