Photoshop Elements 12 adds useful editing tools, without the subscription
Photoshop Elements 12, which was released alongside its video-centric Premiere Elements, is the latest version of Adobe's consumer-friendly photo editing software. The hallmark feature is Elements Mobile Albums, which takes advantage of Adobe's Revel technology, which uses cloud storage to allow you to access and edit photos on both computers and mobile devices. Any changes you make on your other devices are put back in the cloud.
|Albums can be put onto Adobe's Revel cloud service, which allows you to edit and share photos on mobile devices. Any edits are put back into Revel, so everything is always up-to-date.|
Another interesting feature is 'Content-Aware Move', which does just as it sounds. You can move an object in a photo, and the camera will attempt to correctly fill in the background. While we haven't had a chance to try this ourselves, here's Adobe's example:
|... and after. Zoom in for a closer look.|
The straigthen tool has also been enhanced, and is also content-sensitive. When you straighten a photo (such as to level a horizon), Elements will fill in the now-empty edges of the frame.
A final notable feature is 'Auto Smart Tone', which not only allows for one-click color adjustment - it also learns your preferences over time.
|Each of the images in the corner are variations on the original photo. As time goes by, the software will learn your preferences, and make more accurate recommendations.|
Other additions to Photoshop Elements include pet-eye correction, guided edits, and the usual assortment of special effects. Mac users will be pleased to hear that Elements is now 64-bit, which improves performance and allows you to work with larger images.
More advanced users will be pleased to know that Elements continues to include Adobe Camera Raw, though it's not as full-featured as the one in Photoshop. Elements 12 supports ACR 8.x, and updates will be released at the same time as they are for Photoshop. Those who don't need the full suite of Photoshop and ACR tools may find Elements enticing, as it doesn't require a Creative Cloud subscription.
Elements 12 is now available for $79 for current Elements owners, or $99 for those new to the software. That's right: no monthly subscription required.
New Versions of Adobe’s No 1. Consumer Photo and Video Editing Tools Now Available
Powerful Mobile Capabilities Make Photos and Videos Accessible Anywhere, Any Time, on Multiple Devices
SAN JOSE, Calif. —Sept. 24, 2013 — Adobe (Nasdaq:ADBE) today announced the availability of Adobe® Photoshop® Elements 12 and Adobe® Premiere® Elements 12, new versions of the No. 1 selling consumer photo and video-editing software*. Customers will enjoy powerful mobile capabilities, and reap the benefits of professional-grade editing technology delivered in an intuitive experience that makes it easy to create stunning results.
“Our customers have a lot of photos and videos, and they love to use their home computers to organize them and be creative, but they also want the freedom and flexibility to view, edit and share on their mobile devices,” said Lea Hickman, vice president products, Creative Consumer Business, Adobe. “Photoshop Elements 12 and Premiere Elements 12 will provide customers with the best of both worlds, quickly, easily and at their discretion.”
Easily Create and Share Sensational Photos with Photoshop Elements 12 with new features and tools that include:
- Mobile Access - With Elements Mobile Albums, customers always have access to their precious memories. Powered by Adobe® Revel™, people can view, edit and share their photos and videos seamlessly on their smartphones, tablets and desktop devices whether at home or on-the-go.
- Content-Aware Move - This exclusive Adobe technology lets customers easily move objects within a photo and automatically fills in resulting empty spaces.
- Pet Eye Correction - Added in response to customer requests, Pet Eye provides an easy solution to the problem of flash reflection in animals’ eyes, which is not addressed by Red Eye correction technology.
- Auto Smart Tone – Exclusive intelligent software that learns a customer’s editing preferences, resulting in one-click adjustments based on their choices, which gets better the more you use it.
- Quick Frames, Effects and Textures – One-click photo frames, effects and textures, inspired by the most popular looks customers have been creating in Expert mode.
- Guided Edits - Step-by-step instructions to create Zoom Burst and Photo Puzzle effects, as well as Restore Old Photo, which enable users to restore damaged or old photos.
- Straighten Tool - Now fills in missing edges through the use of exclusive Content-Aware technology.
- Share to Twitter – Share a photo with a tweet on Twitter.
- 64-bit support for Mac – Allows for more efficient use of your computers’ built in memory, maximizing performance and enabling larger image files and videos to be edited quickly.
Create Unforgettable Movies with ease with Premiere Elements 12. New features and tools include:
- Guided Edits – Step-by-step navigation on how to get started, trim frames, add scores, transitions, titles and narrations, as well as animating graphics and creating pictures within pictures.
- Scores - More than 50 soundtracks that automatically regenerate to fit the duration of a clip, making it easy to create home movies with perfectly timed intros, outros and background music.
- Sound Effects – More than 250 effects that add excitement and dimension to audio tracks.
- Auto Smart Tone - The same exclusive technology found in Photoshop Elements 12, for video.
- Film Looks – Four new filters to add stylized Hollywood flare to home movies including Comic, Trinity, Yesteryear and Cross Process.
- Motion tracking – Spotlight your subject by adding graphics, text and effects that move with the object.
Pricing and Availability
Adobe Photoshop Elements 12 and Adobe Premiere Elements 12 (Mac and Windows) are immediately available for purchase at www.adobe.com for US$99.99, with upgrade pricing of US$79.99. The Photoshop Elements 12 & Premiere Elements 12 bundle is available now for US$149.99, with upgrade pricing of US$119.99. They will soon be available at retail stores such as Adorama Camera, Inc, Amazon.com, B & H Photo and Video, Best Buy, Best Buy Canada, New Egg, Office Depot, OfficeMax, Staples and Staples Canada.
Adobe Revel is an app available for iOS and Windows devices. The app is free for up to 50 photo or video uploads per month.