Casio Exilim Zoom EX-Z50 and Exilim Zoom EX-Z55
Casio is expanding is Exilim Zoom range with the announcement of two new additions, the EX-Z50 and the EX-Z55, which maintain a thin body construction and large LCD screens. The aluminium bodied cameras both have a 5.3 megapixel CCD and a 2-inch (Z50) and 2.5-inch (Z55) screen and are 23mm wide. A Photostand features allows users to run a slideshow of images, while the camera sits in its cradle. The Z50 will be priced (£329 ($399) and the Z55 will be £349 ($449).
New EXILIM ZOOM Models With 5 Megapixels & Long Lasting SUPER LIFE Battery
2.5” LCD EX-Z55 and 2.0” LCD EX-Z50 models announced
August 25th, 2004, LONDON, UK – CASIO ELECTRONICS CO., LTD. today announced the release of the 5 megapixel EX-Z55 and EX-Z50, two new models in the EXILIMÆ ZOOM range of digital cameras with extra long SUPER LIFE battery operation and large LCD viewing screens.
Designed to build on the success of CASIO’s 4 megapixel EXILIM ZOOM EX-Z40, both new models replicate the thin body construction with a large TFT LCD screen. This predecessor model offered high picture quality, high-speed response and power saving circuitry in a compact unit. Thanks to the incorporation of CASIO’s proprietary compact image processing module, the EXILIM Engine, the model also offered superior portability and exceptional performance, providing 2.5 times longer battery life, and representing a significant improvement over what remains a common drawback with conventional digital cameras. This attention to the needs of consumers in terms of features and usability ensured the EX-Z40’s extraordinary popularity.
The two new models, EXILIM ZOOM EX-Z55 and EX-Z50, both incorporate the EXILIM Engine, but boasts even lower power consumption. The EX-Z55 is equipped with a high resolution 5 megapixel CCD, a 3x optical zoom lens and an extra large 2.5” LCD screen whilst retaining an optical viewfinder. With its compact and stylish design, the EX-Z55 can take approximately 400 pictures (based on CIPA standards) on a single charge, while the EX-Z50 can take approximately 390. Both models offer extended battery life, making them ideal for use during long vacations, business travel, and other occasions requiring the amazing stamina that these cameras now offer.
Like all models in the EXILIM series, they offer superior portability and excellent picture quality, along with extremely high speed operation for quick response in a variety of shooting situations. For example, CASIO’s now legendary BESTSHOT function allows the user to select settings automatically by choosing from sample scenes. In addition, several new functions have been incorporated to assure a higher level of performance, such as the Business Shot function which provides automatic alignment correction for photos taken at an angle, altering shots as though they were taken from a straight front position; the “Auto Macro” function which automatically switches between macro mode and AF mode; “Flash Assist” which compensates for brightness levels in darker areas not reached by the flash; and “Icon Help” which displays on-screen guides to help the user during the switching of settings.
High performance operation in an easy to use, compact design
- High-resolution images captured by the CCD with 5 million effective pixels.
- 3x optical zoom in a compact body
- Extra-large 2.5” digital interface TFT LCD screen (2.0” for the EX-Z50)
- The viewfinder has been built into the LCD screen allowing the use of an optical viewfinder in addition to the image provided on the LCD screen (EX-Z55 only)
- High quality lightweight aluminum body with comfortable handgrip.
Long battery life for extended shooting on a single battery charge
- 10% longer battery life than the previous model (EX-Z40), with a greater number of pixels and a larger display screen (EX-Z55)
- Up to 400 photos can be taken on a single charge, based on CIPA standards for battery life measurement. (390 photos for the EX-Z50)
Quick response thanks to high-speed design
- The camera automatically selects fixed focus Auto Pan Focus mode for instantaneous response when the shutter is pressed rapidly.
- Direct-On function for one-touch operation o either picture taking or playback modes.
- Rapid start-up allows pictures to be taken approximately 1.6 seconds* after the power is turned on
- Class-leading shutter release lag time of approx 0.01 seconds*
- High speed operation with high speed image playback of approximately 0.1 seconds between images when scrolling
*with the flash off
More convenient functions
- Business Shot function compensates for photos taken at an angle and records them as though taken from straight ahead.
- BESTSHOT function allows settings to be selected using sample scene images.
- Extended shooting of video with sound can be performed until the memory is full.
- Noise Reduction processing makes night scenes more beautiful.
- Auto Macro function enables automatic switching between Macro and AF modes.
- 7-point Multi-Auto Focus automatically selects the optimum focus point location.
- Flash Assist function provides exposure compensation for areas not reached by the flash
- Icon Guide function uses a pop-up guide to help the user when switching settings.
More useful features
- Voice recording function with playback from the camera’s speaker.
- Photostand feature allowing a slideshow of images while the camera sits in its cradle.
- Calendar function shows thumbnail images of photos taken on any specified date.
- World Time function allows the user to set the camera to the local time in one of 162 cities in 32 time zones around the world.
- Store special photos or those you don’t want others to see in your own Favourites folder.
- Create HTML albums in the camera which can be viewed directly by Web browsers.
- Connects directly to PictBridge and USB DIRECT-PRINT compatible printers.
- 9.3MB internal flash memory, compatible with SD memory card / Multi Media Card (not included.)
- Menu display possible in one of 10 languages, including English, French, German, Spanish, Chineseand Japanese.
- Photo Loader software allows automatic transfer of images to a PC at the touch of a single button on the USB cradle.
- Compatible with ExifPrint (Exif 2.2) and PRINT Image MatchingⅢ
1/2.5" Type CCD
2560 x 1920
|Movie clips|| 320 x 240 (15fps) unlimited depending on size of memory card
|File formats|| Still: JPEG (Exif 2.2)
Movies: AVI (Motion JPEG)
Sound: WAV (monaural)
|Lens|| 35 - 105 mm (35mm equiv)
F2.6 - F4.8
3x optical zoom
|Digital zoom||Up to 4x|
Contrast type AF (selectable between spot, multi); pan focus, macro mode, infinity mode, manual focus
|Focus distance|| Normal: 40 cm to infinity
Macro: 6cm - 50cm
|ISO sensitivity|| Auto
|Exposure compensation|| +/- 2EV
1/3 EV stops
|Shutter speed||4 - 1/2000 sec|
Still with audio
Movies with audio
|Image parameters|| Color saturation
|Scene modes||BESTSHOT modes|
|White balance|| Auto
|Self timer|| 2 or 10 secs
Triple self timer
2" TFT LCD
|Print compliance|| DPOF
|Power||Lithium ion rechargeable battery|
|Weight (no batt or card)||EX-Z55:
130g (4.5 oz)
121 g (4.2 oz)
87 x 58 x 23 mm
(3.4 x 2.3 x 0.9 in)
87 x 57 x 23 mm
(3.4 x 2.2 x 0.9 in)