Fujifilm updates 18x S8000fd to S8100fd
Pre PMA 2008: The second new camera from Fujifilm today is the FinePix S8100fd, a minor update to the FinePix S8000fd (itself only announced 6 months ago). The main differences are an increase in pixel count (from 8 to 10 megapixels), some new continuous shooting modes and an increase in the maximum sensitivity to ISO 6400 (at reduced resolution). The other changes and new features are all relatively minor.
Get the bigger picture with the FinePix S8100fd
Update to acclaimed FinePix S8000fd offers advanced features and huge zoom range at an affordable price
Fujifilm UK today announced the launch of the long zoom, SLR-styled FinePix S8100fddigital camera, which combines user-friendliness with long-zoom versatility and high speed shooting modes that are rarely found in non-professional models.
Continuing on the success of the FinePix S8000fd, the 10 Megapixel FinePix S8100fd integrates a Fujinon 18x wide angle optical zoom fixed lens (27mm-486mm equivalent), letting the user achieve greater range than ev er before and offers everything from true wide angle to extreme telephoto in a single compact unit. The sealed, fixed-lens system prevents dust contamination and eliminates the need for additional zoom or wide angle lenses, making it an easy-to-use, affordable alternative to the complex D-SLR system.
The big zoom advantage
The FinePix S8100fd's 18x zoom lens – first seen on the FinePix S8000fd - is ready for every possible photographic challenge, from landscapes and interiors to wildlife and sports action.
The wide angle is perfect for large group shots and sweeping holiday landscapes; the long telephoto lens is capable of picking out a single face on a distant stage or playing field, offering an unparalleled range of creative opportunities without the need for add-on lenses or adapters.
Face Detection Technology
Fujifilm’s award-winning Face Detection Technology has enabled a number of advanced features that will excite both novice and more experienced photographers and make getting perfect portraits easier than ever. Face Detection operates by identifying and prioritising up to 10 faces in a frame and then adjusting the focus and exposure accordingly to ensure the sharpness and clarity of human subjects in the picture, regardless of background. After the shot is captured the new automatic red-eye removal feature instantly checks each detected face for red-eye and if it’s found, corrects it in the camera automatically, saving the time-consuming process of fixing it in your PC after the image is downloaded.
A new Instant Zoom function captures moving subjects at high zoom settings. After zooming on a subject, a single button gives an additional 1.4x or 2x digital zoom at the centre focus region of the frame. Zoom Bracketing performs a similar action using Fujifilm’s Face Detection Technology to lock its zoom action on a subject’s face automatically as it enters the shot.
The FinePix S8100fd features Fujifilm’s Dual Image Stabilisation combining mechanical sensor shift stabilisation with Fujifilm’s Picture Stabilisation Technology, which uses fast shutter speeds and ISO levels of up to ISO 6400 (at 5 Megapixels) for total anti-blur protection. As a result the FinePix S8100fd produces sharp, blur-free photographs even in low light conditions.
A Continuous Shooting Mode makes it easy to shoot moving subjects such as pets, kids and sports. This new feature allows high-speed shooting of up to 33 frames at 13.5 frames per second (at 3 megapixels; 6.8 frames per second at 5 megapixels). With high-speed playback at 10 frames per second you can be sure you’ve captured all of the action.
Other features found on the FinePix S8100fd include:
- i-Flash: i-Flash Intelligent Flash detects subtle lighting differences within a scene and then varies the flash intensity accordingly. It also uses the high sensitivity of the FinePix S8100fdto enable the camera to use less flash, resulting in an image that displays natural tones without a washed-out effect. With an automatic pop-up flash, it’s always ready when you need it
- Full manual photographic control: Photo enthusiasts and advanced photographers have total control with manual adjustment options for various camera settings including resolution, ISO, aperture, shutter speed, and more
- Scene modes: A wide range of 13 pre-programmed scene modes provides top-quality photos in a variety of shooting conditions
- Super Macro Mode: Full-frame close-ups are easy with this new feature that lets the photographer to get as close as 1cm (0.4 inch)
- Dual Shot Mode: In this mode, the FinePix S8100fd quickly shoots two images in succession – one with and one without flash – saving both. This convenient function lets the user perform an on-the-spot comparison and decide whether the FinePix S8100fd produced the most pleasing photo with flash, or without
- Movie Mode: VGA quality 30 frames per second with sound
- High resolution LCD: The 2.5” Wide View LCD display offers 230 pixels of high resolution with a 60 frames per second refresh rate for smooth viewing
- Electronic viewfinder (EVF): In addition to framing your shots with the 2.5” high resolution LCD, the FinePix S8100fd also offers a high resolution electronic viewfinder to eye up the best shot with an astonishing 60 fps refresh rate for smooth viewing
- xD/SD/SD-HC compatible slot: A single media slot accepts not only Fujifilm’s traditional xD-Picture cards but also Secure Digital (SD) and SD-High Capacity (SD-HC) cards too
- Operates on 4xAA batteries: The ultimate in convenience and accessibility, using AA batteries means in a pinch, more batteries are just moments away
"The FinePix S8000fd set the standard for ‘big zoom’ consumer compacts,” said Adrian Clarke, Fujifilm's Director of Digital Products. “The FinePix S8100fd builds on this successful formula, adding genuinely useful new features and offering an affordable and uniquely versatile alternative to the bulk and expense of a digital SLR system.”
1/2.3 " Type CCD
• 3,648 x 2,432
|Movie clips||• 640 x 480 pixels, 320 x 240 pixels, 30 frames/sec. with mono sound
• AVI (Motion JPEG )
• With Electronic Image Stabilization
*Zoom function cannot be used during movie recording
|File formats||• JPEG|
• Fujinon 18 X Optical zoom lens , F2.8 (Wide) - F4.5 (Telephoto)
|Digital zoom||Approx. 5.7x (max)|
• Auto Focus (single and continuous)
|AF area modes||
|AF assist lamp||Yes|
|Metering||TTL 64-zones metering|
( *ISO3200 / 6400: 5M pixels or lower (Number of recorded pixels)
|Exposure bracketing||±1/3 EV, ±2/3 EV, ±1EV|
|Shuttter speed||• AUTO mode: 1/4 sec to 1/2000 sec
• All other mode): 4 sec. to 1/2000 sec. (all other modes)
|Aperture||• F2.8 - F8.0 (Wide) / F4.5 - F 8.0 (Telephoto)
• max 10 steps in 1/3 EV increment
|Modes||• Programmed AE
• Aperture Priority AE
• Shutter Priority AE
• Mode dial: Auto, PS (Picture Stabilization), Natural Light, Natural Light with Flash, Zoom Bracketing, Movie
|White balance||Automatic scene recognition Preset (Fine, Shade, Fluorescent light (Daylight), Fluorescent light (Warm White), Fluorescent light (Cool White), Incandescent light), Custom|
|White balance fine tune||No|
|Self timer||Approx. 10 sec./ 2 sec. delay|
• Top-3: (max 1.1 frames/sec)
• Auto flash
• Flash mode : Red-eye removal OFF : Auto, Forced Flash, Suppressed Flash, Slow Synchro. Red-eye removal ON : Red-eye Reduction Auto, Red-eye Reduction & Forced Flash, Suppressed Flash, Red-eye Reduction & Slow Synchro.
|Viewfinder||• 0.24-inch Electronic Viewfinder
• 230,000 pixels color LCD monitor
• approx. 97% coverage
• 60 fps
|Print compliance||• DPOF|
|Storage|| Internal memory (Approx. 58 MB)
• xD-Picture cardTM (16MB-2GB)
• SD memory card / SDHC memory card
|Power|| 4xAA type alkaline batteries(included), Ni-MH rechargeable batteries(optional) or Lithium batteries(optional)
• Optional AC adaptor
|Weight (no batt)||Approx. 405g / 14.3 oz|
|Dimensions||111.3 (W) x 78.2 (H) x 79.3 (D) mm / 4.3 (W) x 3.1 (H) x 3.1 (D) in|
*Specifications subject to change