Google+ gets improved Raw-to-JPEG conversion
Google+ has introduced improved Raw-to-JPEG conversion for a number of cameras with some help from Nik Photography. As before, Raw files may be uploaded to Google+ for storage, and are automatically converted to JPEGs for previewing. The conversion from Raw has been fine-tuned for about 70 cameras, including high-end models like the Canon EOS 5D Mark III, Nikon D800 and D800E.
We tried out the new conversion on Raw files from the RX100 and RX100 II. The RX100 is included in this round of cameras to get improved Raw conversion, and the RX100 II isn't. Accordingly, the preview of the RX100 Raw file looked much nicer than that of the RX100 II's.
|JPEG conversion of .ARW file from Sony RX100||JPEG conversion of .ARW file from Sony RX100 II|
Here's the full list of cameras with newly-improved Raw conversion:
- Canon EOS: 100D, 1000D, 1100D, 1D Mark III, 1D Mark IV, 1Ds Mark III, 1Dx, 20D, 30D, 350D, 400D, 40D, 450D, 500D, 50D, 550D, 5D, 5D Mark II, 5D Mark III, 600D, 60D, 650D, 6D, 700D, 7D, M
- Canon Powershot: G12, G1X, S100
- Nikon: 1 J1, 1 J2, 1 J3, 1 S1, 1 V1, 1 V2, Coolpix A, D300, D300s, D3000, D3100, D3200, D4, D40, D40X, D5000, D5100, D5200, D600, D700, D7000, D7100, D800, D800E, D90
- Olympus: OM-D E-M5, PEN EP1, PEN EP2, PEN EP3, PEN EPL3, PEN EPL5
- Panasonic: LUMIX DMC GF1
- Sony: Alpha 700, NEX-5, NEX-5N, NEX-6, NEX-7, NEX-C3, NEX-F3, RX1, RX100, SLT Alpha 55, SLT Alpha 77, SLT Alpha 99